Owning a yacht is a huge investment, both in regards to finances and time. Neither the initial purchase nor repairs are cheap. But you can avoid many problems if you take action early on.
To protect your investment, you should be doing these five things each year. This reduces the chance that you will need to make a claim on your yacht insurance. To have the best experience in using your boat, and keeping in in great condition, be sure to:
- Check your engine before putting it away or getting it out for the season. Change the oil and filters according to directions in your manufacturer's manual. Make sure that the level of oil is correct and fix any issues as soon as they arise.
- Look over the cooling system. Boating is great, but it's not much fun on hot summer days when your cooling system breaks. Read through the manual and check to see that all parts are in good working order. The drain should close completely. The tubing couplings need to be well tightened and the coolant reservoir should be full.
- Inspect the yacht's hull. Ensure that the vessel does not list, or show signs of strain that may lead to a hull failure. You might avoid flooding or a potential hull loss if you do.
- Inspect the batteries. It's essential to have clean, corrosion free batteries in your yacht. Look over the connections and see that they are in place and that you have a charged battery.
- Have your marina tech inspect your yacht. Even if you've had your yacht for years, it's good to get a once-over by an experienced person who does this day in and day out. Your tech will be able to do a thorough inspection to ensure optimal boating experiences.
- Check your safety equipment and restock your first aid kit. Look to see that your fire extinguishers haven't expired. Inspect life jackets and flotation devices for holes. Replace missing and expired items from your first aid kit. Check your emergency food and water rations. Do a test run of your GPS to make sure it's still working.
- Update your yacht insurance policy. Make any changes necessary. Ensure the policy will still cover the value of your yacht as well as any recent modifications. You may find that it's time to shop for a new boat insurance policy.
Boat insurance will cover a multitude of issues that come up. But it's best to keep your yacht, boat or other watercraft in tip-top shape so that you don't have to make a claim. The fewer issues you have with the wellness of your yacht, the more time you get to be on the water.
We've got you covered. Call Voyager Insurance Services, Inc at (972) 712-8000 for a free Dallas yacht insurance quote.